The Kitchen: My IKEA Expedit Hack

October 1, 2012

This is something loads of other DIYers have already done so I make no claims of originality but this idea did come to me after ages of trying to think of a way to pretty up my Expedit bookcase. The bookcase is very practical but a bit blah when in front of a white wall. So after seeing examples of other hacked Expedits, I decided to hack mine by attaching a coloured backing.  For a DIY project, this is a good one - not many materials are required, it's cheap and quick. The DIY trifecta!
All you need is MDF (I bought 3 sheets of 900 x 600 project panels, 3mm width as I couldn't get 1 sheet of similar dimensions to the bookcase, but maybe you can), paint (I ended buying 2 cans of spray paint to speed things up), some little nails to tack the board on and a hammer - oh, and obviously an Expedit bookcase ;)

1. Cut the MDF to size so it covers the back of the bookcase. Sand any rough edges.
2. Paint the MDF boards and let dry. I used flat spray paint so that no shiny bits would show up.
3. Attach the boards to the back of the bookcase  - I laid the bookcase on the floor on an old towel to make this easier. Then once all the nails are in, put the bookcase upright again and admire your handiwork.


I've been arranging and rearranging things constantly, moving all the cookbooks and dust collectors off the bookcase and putting all my white serving ware out.  I love the way the bookcase turned out, it really makes a difference to the space - simply but effective!

33 comments:

  1. Well done! Looks great. I also love white porcelain serving ware!. Can't wait to display all my items in my kitchen, still not sure how.

    The backing board really made it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. It took me ages to realise my white bits and pieces would look good displayed instead of remaining hidden!

      Delete
  2. This looks awesome I just love the black background on the white cabinet. What would we do without Ikea :) Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks absolutely AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

  4. That looks great, I would never have thought to use a bookshelf like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your white pieces are features now. It looks fabulous. Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's fantastic, such a small change made a huge difference!

    I love the ampersand, and the KA frame above the bookshelf too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very smart idea!!!
    I am curious to see the rest of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Natalie, it looks fantastic! I'm thinking of doing a similar thing to my Expedits in my craft room, but with wrapping or scrap booking paper glued to the wood backing piece. A more enclosed shelf would help with the dust collection that settles on 2 sides....and things that accidently fall through the back against the wall. Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I came across a few Expedits which were done like this and they looked great! Putting the backing on definitely keeps things on the shelf instead of falling off - used to drive me crazy when I'd move the unit and things would fall through!

      Delete
  9. Actually....I love that you've put castors on it!!!!! Fantastic idea! I like the coloured back as well, but the castors are what really caught my eye. Well done!
    Lesley
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't take credit for the castors - they sell them at IKEA as an accessory to the Expedit range. The castors make the unit really easy to move and of course add a bit of height (which I wanted).

      Delete
  10. Love the black! You can't beat the addition of black to any room, especially with white ceramics! I'd love an expedit bookshelf, they are so simple and versatile but probably a bit hard for me to get all the way north! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never have any problems adding black somewhere, I think I've got a problem!

      Delete
  11. Looks fabulous! I L.O.V.E the expedit range!!!! Those castors look great too.X kl

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, looks fantastic. So simple but such impact!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I not see this until now?!

    Amazing!!!! Love your creativity <3

    B

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks amazing Natalie!
    I might have to do this to mine......;O)
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this piece, the castors are genius and the edition of the MDF backing finishes the look brilliantly.

    P.S Love your '&' sign!
    :)Tina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Parabens pela estrutura e conteudo de seu blog, Forte abraço Renato Artesanato em MDF

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! Looks great and the addition of the castors for the use in the kitchen is great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fabulous! May I ask where you got your & from? Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was from Bed Bath N'Table (I think Morgan & Finch brand). You may be able to still track one down :)

      Delete